This post was most recently updated on February 22nd, 2014
Personal Branding is how people perceive you. People don’t buy products; they buy people. That’s why on TV commercials you see “superstars” selling products. People don’t buy products; they buy people! Establishing your personal branding on the internet is crucial.
It reminds me of a quote from Bella Abzug: “I began wearing hats as a young lawyer because it helped me to establish my professional identity. Before that, whenever I was at a meeting, someone would ask me to get coffee.”
Those of you who are familiar with Ms. Bella know her from her hats. That separated her from the crowd. What separates you from the crowd? Just being yourself …that’s it. Each of us is totally unique. We have unique personalities and experiences to offer. When you present who you honestly are, you are being authentic. People are always attracted to authenticity. The authentic “You” that you present becomes your “Brand”.
Here are the 7 Ingredients that YOUR BLOG needs to personally brand YOU:
1. Information that Brands YOU… not a company or MLM. In other words, do not use your blog as a means to sell products or garner downlines for your MLM. Never directly link a blog post to your MLM company’s replicated page assigned to you as a distributor. Such pages represent a company, a business, an opportunity, a product.
They do NOT represent YOU. You can, of course, put such links on a “work with me” page of your blog, but I do not recommend it. It still results in taking people from your blog to a company page. This does not help brand YOU.
2. Quality Content. The information you post on your blog could be anything from technical information and techniques, to How-To ideas or personal development methods. Whatever you are willing and competent to share is what projects who you are. For instance, talk about the financial freedom your internet marketing has given you (if it has). Talk about what you have learned along the way that may be of teach something your readers need to learn. This is all important and valuable content.
3. Upload pictures and videos. Because your blog is your central hub, you want to put some video’s of yourself on it. People need to see you in action, get to know you and appreciate your unique style of presentation. Be yourself! It may take you practice if you are camera shy, but you will get there. It’s absolutely worth the effort.
4. Develop your niche. Your personal brand must evolve from the niche you are comfortable with. Your niche is your specialty, expertise or particular passion or interest. It may be to work with stay at home moms, executives, physicians, fellow bloggers or fellow internet marketers. Whatever it is, get involved with others in your niche and get to know them. And encourage them get to know you!
5. Get personal. Use your blog as a platform to present yourself, not only as a business person, but as a living, breathing human being. Share some personal stuff! You may be a working mom, a stay at home mom, a retired person, an entrepreneur, an MLM representative. But you’re also a person. So share pictures and stories about your family, pets or special hobbies or passions that are not business related.
6. Build trust. It all boils down to people being attracted to a real person. No one is there to judge you. They either gel with you or not. If they don’t, you don’t want to work with them anyway. If they do, you start building relationships with them. They will only be attracted to you after they have started trusting you. At this point, they may look more seriously at your product or affiliate program. At the point of trust, they are likely to opt-in to your special offers, and end up on our your auto-responder email list. So be authentic and personal and this will build the trust factor.
7. Always lead with YOU. There are countless ways to market products, ideas and services. The most effective is Personal Branding. Few people trust a company, but if they resonate with your message and technique, they will want to trust you. Especially if you are open, honest and giving. They want a real person they can relate to. So go for it, and don’t be shy, After a while, you’ll get the hang of it and make many connections for your business. Why? Because you are YOU!