With so much going on in your life, it is difficult to focus. I believe that focusing is kind of an art. It is something that you need to incorporate into your life every day. When you are not focused, you cannot complete your tasks efficiently. The negative feelings of this are:
Guilt – these are the “should’s” you put on yourself.
Shame – the feeling of I can’t do it, maybe it’s not for me.
Frustration – I can’t get control of my situation.
Agitation – Every time I try to get one thing accomplished, there is always something that comes up.
Anxiety – I feel anxious, I need a nap.
Hopeless – I’ll never get this done. Maybe I should just give up!
What happens when you are feeling this way? You become unfocused on what you are doing and at worst, give up. This is why focusing is so important.
Here are some tips that worked for me and hopefully can work for you, too.
1. Have too much on your mind? I call that the “post-it’s” in your mind. When this happens, you can be working on a project and your mind starts wondering about all the other things you need to do.
Answer to this: Write things down. Start in the evening and plan out your next day. One day at a time, because of the many complexities of life’s responsibilities. For example, say you are working on a project. Make that Number One on your list. Do that first and plan how much time you can take tomorrow on this project.
2. Invest in a great daily planner. When you invest in a pricey one, you will be more apt to use it. You won’t put it in the corner because it costs you an extra amount of money. It may be leather, etc. But it is worth the price because you WILL use it.
3. In your daily planner, write down Number 1. Then space out time for your social sites. I use my social sites a lot, but I give myself 15 minutes a day for Facebook, 15 minutes for blog syndication, etc.
4. You have a life other than your project. You may have other responsibilities such as children, a significant other, a parent, and so on. These need to be written down too. I have to write down timelines to talk to my kids! Eventually they do understand.
5. Take time out. You can plan your exercise routine, otherwise it won’t get done. You may want to plan socializing, or time to volunteer in your community. Write that down too.
6. Take a mini vacation during the day. You can take a 15 minute break for YOU in the day and just let the worries in your mind float away in pink bubbles. To do this, you can light a candle and stare at the flames, or smell the aroma. If any thoughts come into your mind, send them out in pink bubbles and just be at one with the flame. This is just one of the many examples of things you can do. The point is to meditate on one thing for 15 minutes. You will be refreshed and your mind will be cleansed so you can re-focus on reaching your goals.
I hope this little tidbit of information on focusing can help. What I do is color code my day. I’m visual, so this works for me.
The most important task will be in RED, the color of grounding and forceful energy.
My other tasks will be PINK, the color of love. Syndicating, Facebook, Linked in and other social sites are responding to people and giving. I like using this color because it reminds me of giving.
I use a LIGHT BLUE for family and friends. I need time with them so that blue energy is the color of communication.
There is a time of day where I need to create and I use the color of YELLOW for that because it is associated for me as a creative energy.
My other business is doing Intuitive Counseling, so I give myself a block of time for that. I group my consultations with clients within pre-defined blocks of time. I use the color PURPLE for that because it is the color of spirituality.
The color concept helps me because I’m working with the energies of those colors and I harmonize my energies with those specific vibrations.
It all comes down to focusing.
We wear many hats in our day. But if we are disciplined and follow our daily routines, we can FOCUS more efficiently and get our priorities done first, before our energy begins to wane.
So, if you find yourself overwhelmed, confused, or just about to give up, STOP. Try this method and see how much more focus and control you will gain in your life and work.
I would love to hear your feedback on this, so please comment below.
Have a blessed day,